Re: concerns about Salsa

On 06/04/2018 12:29 PM, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> GitLab is the right technology for us and a good improvement comparing to
> Alioth.
>
> I think it is great that we've chosen GitLab as successor to Alioth but how
> would it make you feel if you were told that Salsa is not running on Debian?
>
> That's how I feel... Specifically I'm concerned how GitLab is installed on
> Salsa.

Hi Dmitry,

I very much share your feeling, though there's one major blocker atm:
the NEW queue. Pirate Praveen uploaded lots of node packages which are
needed for gitlab, and it's still waiting for approval. Until that's
done, then there wont be any up-to-date Gitlab package in Debian. And
really, version 10.x is so much nicer than 8.x. Of course, not having
12.x in Unstable prevents it from having an official Stretch backport...

At the same time, I have sympathy for both the FTP masters: that's A LOT
of packages to review, and the Salsa admins: when they've set the Salsa
service online, there wasn't all of this packaging available, and they
needed it ASAP.

Let's just hope that all of this goes fast in the right direction so
that the situation is fixed.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)