Re: Research survey: Impact of Microsoft Acquisition of GitHub

Hello Gunnar,

On Mon 20 Aug 2018 at 10:10AM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

> I understand your frustration with the work shared with the author and
> other linked people. However, this is not the way to answer to
> somebody who is attempting to do a contribution to understand the
> social weather after an important change.
>
> The first part of your mail is... Maybe somewhat harsh (I would invite
> you to review the "ignoring negativity" panels at this last DebConf;
> that's not the communication pattern our project needs!), but this
> last paragraph is frankly... Frightening.

While it may have been copied to -devel, Ian's e-mail was not an example
of doing work in Debian, but instead an example of academic engagement.
Academia is very different to a project like Debian, and the standards
of discourse are correspondingly different (perhaps most important is
the fact that academics are not volunteers).

While I agree with you that Ian's tone would not have been appropriate
in, say, a bug report, it strikes me as quite appropriate for the kind
of academic dialogue in which he is engaged.

We should be wary of applying the advice in the ignoring negativity
panels, and similar, to work outside of Debian.  That advice was
tailored for working on Debian, which was not what Ian is doing here.
While the advice may well apply to other endeavours, we should not
assume that it does without argument.

--
Sean Whitton