Re: Would be possible to have a ".treeinfo" file added to the installers' page?

On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 11:05 PM Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 02:06:50PM +0100, Fabiano Fidêncio wrote:
> > Paul,
> >
> > > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-amd64/current/images/SHA256SUMS
> >
> > This one could be used if we'd have the "Description" entry as we do
> > in http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/Release
> > Do you think that adding the "Description" entry to the
> > current/images/SHA256SUMS file would be easier/more secure than adding
> > the ".treeinfo" file under
> > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-amd64/ ?
>
> The SHA256SUMS file is expected to be valid input to "sha256sum -c", so
> any extra metadata would have to live somewhere else.

Hmm. I see. :-/

So, what about the ".treeinfo" file suggestion? :-)

Having the ".treeinfo" suggestion would be easiest and more reliable
way for libosinfo (and, consequently, virt-manager/GNOME Boxes) to
consume the install trees. But we'd be more than happy if there was at
least one file, any file, under the install tree that we could
reliably parser in order to get the version we're dealing with.

One of the things we thought was to check
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-amd64/current/images/MANIFEST.udebs
for "deb8", "deb9" ... but it's not reliable as there's not such
suffix for testing packages. More than that, even if it would for
Debian ... we'd have to have this very same discussion we're having
here with Ubuntu folks, while if something like the ".treeinfo"
suggestion is adopted, Ubuntu would also adopt that for free.

Best Regards,
--
Fabiano Fidêncio