Re: Testing init.d script

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 08:52:19PM -0800, Kip Warner wrote:
> My package has an LSB friendly init.d script it distributes to manage
> the daemon it ships as a system service. I'd like to use it during unit
> testing so the daemon can be started, stopped, and various unit tests
> performed on it between starting and stopping.
>
> What is the best practice for this kind of scenario? There are some
> caveats, of course, because the init.d script cannot be run as root
> when my project's build environment runs its unit tests.

Unit tests can normally use some kind of temporary test harness instead
of the full-blown init script, and that's usually the best first line of
defence since it's typically simpler and faster.

Of course it's also worth testing the init script itself, or other
behaviours of the package when it's in its installed state rather than
just running out of the build tree.  For that purpose, have you
considered autopkgtest (https://ci.debian.net/doc/)?  A test with the
"needs-root" restriction can start and stop services.