Re: Proposal: Repository for fast-paced package backports

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 13:07:07 +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:

(Can we keep this on one mailing list, please? /me restricts this to
-devel)

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 12:07:42AM +0100, Dominik George wrote:
> > I actually think volatile is a good name. After all, it's not so far from the previous volatile.
> volatile is a very bad name for this because we've used it already for
> something else.

Agreed.

And besides that, I think the more universal answer is
bikesheds/PPAs/you-name-it instead of yet-another-suite.

IIRC, there's even a draft specification … What I found now is
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/05/msg00131.html [0]
https://lists.debian.org/debian-dak/2015/09/msg00023.html ff.

Since then bikesheds keep being mentioned every now and then for
handling fast-moving software; e.g.

Cheers,
gregor

[0]
"Aggressive Backport:
    This is the "dotdeb.org" scenario.  For whatever reason, people need
    whatever the latest version of php/mysql/apache/nginx/selectyourpoison
    is, compiled for (old)stable, in order to run on their otherwise
    stable servers."

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe