Re: Building GTK programs without installing dconf-service?

Quoting Simon McVittie (2019-08-14 20:22:33)
> On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 at 19:52:42 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Quoting Simon McVittie (2019-08-14 17:59:00)
> > > I think this is a bit of a lose/lose situation: if we downgrade
> > > the Depends to Recommends, as long as there is an (IMO unwise)
> > > meme that globally disabling Recommends is the right thing to do
> > > for "efficient" and "minimal" systems, people will install GTK
> > > programs on their desktops with Recommends disabled, and be
> > > surprised (and/or open high-severity bugs) when settings aren't
> > > saved as a result.
> >
> > Please follow Debian Policy, and let those misguided souls have
> > their surprises.
>
> Which point in the dependency chain do you think should be weakened
> from Depends to Recommends? I think the dependency from
> libgtk-3-0-common generated by dh_installgsettings is probably the
> most appropriate, or at least, least inappropriate? (This would
> require debhelper changes to add a dh_installgsettings option
> analogous to dh_shlibdeps -- -dRecommends, so that the dependency
> could be moved to ${misc:Recommends}.)

libgtk-3-0-common could even be relaxed to _suggest_ dconf/gconf since
already the applications using dconf/gconf declare a dependency on those
disk-based backends.

> When an angry user turns up on the BTS complaining that GTK has a
> grave bug (configuration lost) or a serious bug (Policy §3.5, missing
> dependencies), is there consensus that this should be considered to be
> not-a-bug and closed?

Issues solely caused by disregarding recommends should be closed as
not-a-bug indeed.  Why do you ask?  If you somehow disagree with that,
then I can only take it that you disagree with Debian Policy and it
makes sense to deal with that instead of cowardly putting it on me.

> I thought I remembered Policy having something to say about weakening
> shared libraries' dependencies on services to Recommends or weaker
> (e.g. libdbus-1-3 only Recommends dbus and does not depend on it, even
> though it's of little use without dbus), but now I can't find it in
> Policy, and I also can't find a bug asking for that. Does this exist,
> or did I imagine it?

Sorry, I am not Paul Wise or Colin Watson ;-)

 - Jonas