Re: d/changelog and experimental

Hi,

On 08.12.19 22:29, Guillem Jover wrote:

> I think there are two important properties that need to be preserved
> so that debian/changelog entries keep making sense both for humans
> and machines alike. The first is that the parseable format entries
> should be sorted by version, otherwise things that parse the file
> might get confused when doing range checks or filtering things. The
> second is to preserve the timeline of the changes, so that when a
> human (or even a parser that extracts semantic meaning like with bug
> closures) reads them they should still makes sense.

For backports, we already have cases where entries aren't sorted,
because the changelog still lists the version from sid, and the entry
for the backports version is then prepended with a lower version number.

Bugs are closed based on the changes file, which is generated from the
topmost entry, always.

The rest of the changelog only exists to preserve history. When you make
an upload to experimental closing a bug, and you later upload the
package to unstable, you have to close the bugs again in the changelog
entry for unstable. At this point, it makes sense to condense the
changelog to things that have actually changed.

The target audience of the Debian changelog is a skilled system
administrator who wants to know what changes in behavior to expect from
the new version, especially deviations from what is described in
upstream documentation (because Debian applied a patch).

The format is too terse to serve as a full history of the package
itself, it can only provide pointers to more documentation, ideally
inside the BTS so it is archived within Debian and crosslinked.

The example you give for a merged changelog is confusing, and there is
no way to make it less so save for a dedicated tool to visualize it --
but such a tool could also access the git history of the package instead.

   Simon