Re: requirements and regulations concerning upgrade checks/statistics callback on program start

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 02:42:58PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> - check for updates of itself
> - check for updates of plugins
> - send UID, OS, program version, and the icon theme selected in the
>   program to the statistic site [1]

I file serious bugs when I discover this kind of behaviour in Debian
packages. I've come across this only twice, but I've never spent time
actually looking, so perhaps there are many more?

I was unable to find anything in policy either, but I take the position
that, if asked, Debian developers are likely to take a similar position,
and it has just never come up because maintainers haven't (as far as I'm
aware) objected to treating this behaviour as a serious bug. Has any
maintainer specifically objected?

Would it be worth trying to gather a list of the occasions that this has
taken place to see if a policy change might be warranted?

Here are mine:

Robie