Re: opentmpfiles & opensysusers, and its use in the Debian policy

On Jan 03, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:

> Could you please, therefore, tell me what feature is missing? If you
If I am not mistaken then you started arguing that we should consider an
hypothetical alternative implementation with missing features, so maybe
you should explain what may be missing.

> > Also, you have still not explained why we would need another
> > implementation of these programs, except that "it's not systemd".
> Because with it, we allow running something else than systemd like for
> example OpenRC or sysv-rc, but not only: even maybe without an init
> system at all (think: minimal chroot, containers, etc.) we could
As many have already explained, there is no reason why the systemd
programs cannot be used with other init systems.
The systemd maintainers themselves are interested in ways to make
init-less containers lighter.

> > We systemd package maintainers have discussed using alternatives for
> > these programs and I think that we have a strong consensus that this is
> > not what alternatives are for: if another implementation is actually
> > needed then it should conflict+provide something.
> Why is this the case with systemd's tmpfiles and sysusers, but it's not
> the same for gawk vs mawk? Since when in Debian users can't choose
Because these are two established implementations with different
extensions and you can have multiple packages installed at the same time
that use features of either of them.

> At this moment in time, I don't even know if open{tmpfiles,sysusers} are
> even useful. I'm politely asking you to either help me find out, or just
> do nothing (this includes: stop giving bad feedback).
Actually you are asking other maintainers to do things, so we share our
opinions about them.

--
ciao,
Marco