Re: opentmpfiles & opensysusers, and its use in the Debian policy

On Thu, Jan 02, 2020 at 10:04:28AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Matthias Klumpp <matthias@tenstral.net> writes:
>
> > I find that statement quite encouraging. Of course they don't commit
> > to not having those depend on systemd-as-PID1, but there really isn't
> > a reason to create that dependency, and if for whatever reason there
> > will be one at some point, we can switch away on systems that don't
> > support that change rather easily.
>
> I specifically asked that question in a follow-up to that message and
> Zbyszek said that this is very likely to continue to work indefinitely.

Hi,

we talked this over in systemd upstream, and decided to make the
promise a bit more official [0]. Independent operation of a bunch of
programs is now explicitly covered, and the stability promise
has been extended to more interfaces. The old wiki page with the
stability/portability charts [1,2] is now replaced by an in-repo
page [3], which is the new official location for this data [4].

[0] https://systemd.io/PORTABILITY_AND_STABILITY/#independent-operation-of-systemd-programs
[1] https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/InterfacePortabilityAndStabilityChart/
[2] https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/InterfaceStabilityPromise/
[3] https://systemd.io/PORTABILITY_AND_STABILITY/