Re: Split Packages files based on new section "buildlibs"

On 15948 March 1977, Paul Wise wrote:

Does this include the -dev packages for C/etc libraries?

No.

I guess it also applies to Haskell and other statically-linked languages.
https://wiki.debian.org/StaticLinking

StaticLinking itself is not enough. This is about languages where the actual development in it is discouraged from doing with the debian packaged stuff. Where you do not go "I need lib XY, i install libxy-perl/libxy-dev/whatever the name" and hack around using it. But "Oh, i want to hack on foo, i go get foo/cargo .../whateverthetool" and the debian package only ever comes in play if you do build debian packages using it.

The current proposal is to reduce the main Packages.xz files size by
splitting[4] out all of the packages that are not intended for users,
writing those into an own file. Those packages would have a section of
"buildlibs", independent of their other properties.
Should (almost?) everything in the existing libdevel section move to
the new buildlibs section?

No, if so we would have split that section out.

--
bye, Joerg