Re: Making Debian available

Hi Andrey (2021.01.17_13:16:04_+0000)
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 11:33:28AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> > My workaround is to plug in a network cable for installation. But
> > alas, I have up to now been able to avoid hardware without built-in
> > Ethernet. I guess that many USB Ethernet interfaces will work out of
> > the box without non-free, right?
> I think people on Reddit usually recommend USB-tethering the cell phone.

This is a useful trick to know, and has served me well for many years.
But, assuming this is the best option we can provide for a user, it
should be more than a trick - the installer should probably suggest it.
Something along the lines of:

 Unable to find an Internet connection.
 You may have a network interface that requires non-free firmware to
 operate.
 If you have a mobile phone connected to WiFi try plugging it in with a
 USB cable and enabling "USB tethering" to share its internet
 connection. You can use this to get Debian installed and then install
 the non-free firmware package your network interface requires.
 <Instructions for non-free firmware>

SR

--
Stefano Rivera