Re: New service: https://debuginfod.debian.net

On Sat, 2021-02-27 at 11:47 +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 03:55:17PM -0500, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
> As I said in the announcement message, I have proposed a Merge
> Request
> against elfutils in order to enable the automatic usage of our
> debuginfod server.  I know that there are people who are not
> comfortable
> with having a debugger consult a remote server "behind their backs",
> so
> a possible mitigation to this issue would be to have a debconf
> question
> asking whether the user wants to enable system-wide debuginfod usage
> or
> not.

The other option is that the application asks before downloading
each time.

FWIW that would be my personal preference too (probably with some sort
of cache, maybe once per library or executable or some granularity like
that) but since I don't plan on working on anything like that myself
and it seems like a awful lot of quite complex work I wouldn't want to
try and insist (even if I had grounds too, which I'm sure I don't)
someone else does that amount of work, so long as it is opt-in at the
gross level.

Ian.