Cancel "culture" is a threat to Debian

Cancel "culture" arrived in Debian and it threatens the project:

 * https://www.debian.org/vote/2021/vote_002

Cancel "culture" activists want Debian to sign a petition regarding
Richard Stallman's membership in the Board of Directors of the Free Software
Foundation.

This is not our business. Debian has a mission, and matters of the membership
of other organisations is not our concern.

Everyone is free to express their support in a private capacity, and to those
concerned, I recommend to check the following links to understand the other
side of the story:

 * https://rms-support-letter.github.io/
 * https://jorgemorais.gitlab.io/justice-for-rms/

Cancel activists are not just attacking FSF or Richard Stallman. They
attack Debian and every one of us. They are trying to hijack our priorities.
They want those of us who are not in favour of cancelling Richard Stallman
to resign in shame so they could take over Debian and gain power to expel
everybody for dubious reasons.

Nobody is perfect. Everybody said a foolish thing at least once in a
lifetime. If we cancel those who love what they do, those who are good
with what they do, those who are passionate and caring for what they do
for something they have said somewhere else then eventually there will
be nobody left.

Ideologically possessed cancel activists are threatening integrity and
the future of Debian.

Ironically, there might be a point in time when integrity of Debian or even
its survival might depend on our willingness to expel cancellation
activists before they jeopardise the integrity of the project and replace
its priorities with their political agenda and misguided anti free speech
"morality".

--
All the best,
 Dmitry Smirnov

---

The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and
politics, but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the
endeavor of science.
    -- Carl Sagan

---

https://stopMedicalDiscrimination.org/