Re: merged /usr considered harmful (was Re: Bits from the Technical Committee)

On Jul 22, "Barak A. Pearlmutter" <bap@debian.org> wrote:

> People seem pretty worked up over this, but honestly I'm not
> understanding why.
Because they are scared by new things, hence they oppose merged-/usr
(and systemd before that, and udev even before...).
But since they cannot admit that, then they need to rationalize by
inflating the effects of minor bugs or usability issues.

Basically all new systems are installed with merged-/usr since Debian
10, and since obviously this has not caused noticeable issues (or at
least, any which could not be fixed) then we must treat with skepticism
any such claims.

--
ciao,
Marco