Re: merged /usr vs. symlink farms

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 10:39:45PM +0200, Simon Richter wrote:

> I think no one likes that idea, but it's the only solution that doesn't
> immediately fail because it requires a dpkg update that hasn't shipped with
> the current stable release, breaks local packages (kernel modules, firmware,
> site-wide systemd configuration), or both.

This could be solved if we could somehow require dpkg to be updated
before any other packages during the the next update, no?

Breaking this constraint means that we can't make "apt-get
dist-update" work seemlessly --- but what if we were to change the
documented procedure for doing a major update?

That's not ideal, granted, but how does that compare against the other
alternatives?

					- Ted

P.S.  I had a vague memory that there was some update in the long
distant past where we did require a manual upgrade of dpkg first.  Or
is my memory playing tricks on me?  I do know that a manual update of
dpkg is the first step in a crossgrade....