Re: merged-/usr vs. partially-symlink-farmed-root

On Sun, 2021-08-22 at 12:29 -0400, Marvin Renich wrote:
> * Ansgar <ansgar@43-1.org> [210822 05:08]:
> > Hi Guillem,
> >
> > On Sun, 2021-08-22 at 00:11 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > > There was talk about the huge amount of symlinks required in a
> > > symlink farm setting, but that might have been true for a
> > > scenario
> > > where those symlinks would have been handled automatically and
> > > transparently.
> >
> > To get a filesystem layout equivalent to merged-/usr via symlinks
> > farming *every* package shipping files in at least /usr/bin,
> > /usr/sbin
> > and possibly some of /usr/lib would need to include symlinks in
> > /bin,
> > /sbin, /lib.  This would affect far more packages than updating the
> > packages currently shipping files in /bin, /sbin and /lib* to ship
> > these under /usr instead.
>
> It is true that for a symlink-farm-usr-merge system to be strictly
> equivalent to a symlink-dir-usr-merge system, many packages that
> never
> had /bin/foo but had /usr/bin/foo would have to add a symlink
> /bin/foo,
> however this is clearly unnecessary.  The problem that the symlink
> farm
> is solving is that scripts (distributed or user-written) that depend
> on
> /bin/foo need to continue to work on a partially merged system.  A
> identified 240 packages (number pulled from memory, so might be off)
> that would have to put symlinks in /bin and /sbin for the
> symlink-farm-usr-merge strategy to work.
>
> The amount of work is orders of magnitude less than you are
> representing.  There is no need for the symlink-farm to exactly match
> the symlink-dir solution.  The union of systems during the symlink-
> farm
> merge and systems after the merge is complete can _only_ count on
> /bin/foo existing if it existed before the merge was started.  There
> is
> no need for anything else (wrt /bin/foo existing).
>
> ...Marvin

The point of the migration is that /usr/bin will be identical to /bin,
etc. If they are not identical, then it's not usrmerge as it is
understood and has been adopted by many upstreams for a decade, it's
something else that is incompatible with it.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi