Re: Bundling

Quoting Alec Leamas (2021-09-25 18:23:42)
> On 25/09/2021 18:04, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Quoting Alec Leamas (2021-09-25 17:47:04)
> >>
> >> So, the question: would it be acceptable to bundle the wxWidgets
> >> 3.1.5 sources in next OpenCPN release in such a situation?
> >>

> > How do you and OpenCPN upstream expect to handle bugs for that
> > specific embedded version of wxWidgets?
> >
> > Sounds more sensible to me to (coordinate with wxwidgets maintainers
> > to have) wxWidgets 3.1.x packaged as a separate package, tracked
> > with its proper upstream source.  Then when we get near freeze it
> > can be assessed how many of the wxWidgets branches we want to
> > include with the upcoming stable Debian release - and include in
> > that assessment how many packages reverse-depend on each.
>

> My thinking so far has been that a wxWidgets 3.1.5 package just isn't
> possible since there is no ABI stability guarantee.  Am I wrong?

Lack of stable ABI means that each library change may require
recompilation of reverse dependencies.

This can be handled in packaging either by declaring tight dependencies
(see e.g. `man dh_shlibdeps`), or by tracking library symbols and use
those to resolve dependencies (see e.g.
https://wiki.debian.org/UsingSymbolsFiles)

 - Jonas