Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

On 1.06.2022 14:33, Marc Haber wrote:
On Wed, 1 Jun 2022 09:41:35 +0300, Hakan Bay?nd?r <hakan@bayindir.org>
wrote:
As a person who's handling a lot of servers, I can tell that most high
performance hardware is running either load-on-boot (generally ethernet
and other network cards) or persistent (generally storage and RAID
contollers) non-free firmware blobs.

First category can perform basic tasks without firmware, but servers
being servers, this low performance mode is undesirable barring
light-load servers which is both a minority and a contradiction to the
word server in my profession.

A machine that can boot and install debian without needing the
firmware blob is already one step better than a machine that needs an
install medium with firmware.

You're indeed right. On the other hand, No server I touched ever refused to boot w/o any firmware blobs on the install medium. IOW, servers can boot current Debian as is, but linux-firmware-non-free contains some performance enhancing and useful blobs for them post installation.

Persistent firmware comes loaded out of the box already (like the old days).

Cheers,

Hakan

Greetings
Marc