Re: transition to usrmerge to start around 2022-09-15 (next Thursday)

On Sat, 2022-09-10 at 15:37 +0200, Ansgar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the transition to usrmerge as described in [1] is planned to start
> around 2022-09-15 (next Thursday).
>
> init-system-helpers 1.65~exp1 in experimental adds the new dependency
> on
> "usrmerge | usr-is-merged" and will be uploaded to unstable to start
> the
> transition. Feel free to test and report any issues.
>
> Recent versions of debootstrap[2] will setup the usr-is-merged
> package to
> avoid installing additional dependencies required by usrmerge. The
> usr-is-merged package can also be manually installed in existing
> systems
> for the same reason.
>
> Debian's buildds will continue to use the legacy filesystem layout
> for
> Debian 12 (bookworm).
>
> We will send an announcement to debian-devel-announce@ once the
> upload
> to unstable happens.
>
> Ansgar
>
>   [1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2022/09/msg00005.html
>   [2]: debootstrap 1.0.114+deb10u1, 1.0.123+deb11u1, 1.0.127

Quick update: three minor issues where found, two with i-s-h itself
(one solved in experimental just now about test deps uninstallability
on some ports and one piuparts seemingly false positive about
/etc/shells that I'll fix tomorrow), and one in usrmerge+nspawn+arm64
[0]. I have just come back home from LPC so did not have much time
today, will have a look at the latter two tomorrow and then upload to
unstable once the situation is clearer.

[0] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1019575

--
Kind regards,