Re: Bug email is not getting to me

Steven Robbins <steve@sumost.ca> writes:
> On Sunday, September 25, 2022 4:57:19 P.M. CDT Russ Allbery wrote:

>> If someone sends mail from a domain that says all mail from that domain
>> will always have good DKIM signatures, and if the signature isn't
>> present or doesn't validate the mail should be rejected, and that
>> message is forwarded through bugs.debian.org to someone whose mail
>> server honors DMARC settings, the mail will be rejected.  That's
>> because the process of modifying the message in the way that
>> bugs.debian.org needs to do (adding the bug number to the Subject
>> header, for instance) usually breaks the signature.

> So are you effectively confirming this is indeed the DMARC bug [1] filed
> in 2014?

> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=754809

Yeah, that's my guess.  It's a very common problem.

The right solution is probably for bugs.debian.org to rewrite all incoming
mail to change the From header to a debian.org address (probably the bug
address) and add a Reply-To header pointing to the original sender.  This
is the fix that Mailman mostly uses, and it seems to work (I've had this
problem with multiple mailing lists I run and turning on this message
mangling has fixed it).  But of course someone has to find time to
implement this.