Re: Firmware GR result - what happens next?

On Mon, Oct 03, 2022 at 01:18:55AM +0300, Dmitry Baryshkov wrote:
> вс, 2 окт. 2022 г. в 22:36, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>:
> > > So this is the one bit that I don't think we currently have a good
> > > answer for. We've never had a specific script to run on upgrades (like
> > > Ubuntu do), so this kind of potentially breaking change doesn't really
> > > have an obvious place to be fixed.
> >
> > > Obviously we'll need to mention this in the release notes for
> > > bookworm. Should we maybe talk about adding an upgrade helper tool?
> >
> > I heartily endorse ubuntu-release-upgrader, it has been useful in addressing
> > uncounted upgrade issues over the years and I think something like this
> > would be a nice addition to Debian as well.  Two caveats:
>
> I'd kindly ask against additional upgrade scripts. It is too easy to
> miss them, especially if one has been using Debian for ages with bare
> apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.
> Moreover such a script will not help people that are already using testing.
>
> For the past few decades, updating the setup was always a job of the
> package scripts.

This is getting OT in this thread, but I agree with the many that are
against such upgrading script.

I consider even the need for such thing a bug, as each package should
take care of its own quirks.

Besides, if something wants to mess with my system configuration, that's
an even greater bug for me (something that IME ubuntu has been doing
more and more over the last years).

I can live with an APT hook warning me if I have non-free but not
non-free-firmware, but I would prefer to even do without that.

For stable→stable updates there are the release notes for this tiny
change.
For testing/unstable users, they should really read d-d-a, and this
change be announced there (if it hasn't already).

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

More about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :