Re: Firmware GR result - what happens next?

On Sun, Oct 02, 2022 at 11:47:42PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 10/2/22 22:02, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > > The main difference is, that the renaming caused an error message by
> > > apt, so you knew something needed to be fixed.
> >
> > One could argue that having non-free but not non-free-firmware is
> > sufficiently strange that it would be worth a suppressable apt warning
> > (that you could turn off in apt.conf).  I have no idea how easy that would
> > be to implement, though.
>
> Hi!
>
> I would very much prefer having this implemented in the base_files package.
> This is *the* package that follows releases, so that's IMO the best
> location.
>
> I would hate having to use an upgrade program like in Ubuntu. :/
>
> An easy check could be:
> 1/ are we upgrading from base-files << 12.3 (we're currently at 12.2 in Sid)
> AND
> 2/ is there the non-free repo installed in the default sources.list
> AND
> 3/ non-free-firmware repo isn't installed
>
> THEN
>
> warn user with debconf.
>
> Checking the configuration of a non-free and non-free-firmware is kind of
> hard, because just reading/parsing source.list and source.list.d that could
> be filled with non-debian repos can be quite hard. Though we could imagine
> tricks, like where both repo would include a special package present only
> for that test, and we just see if it is available with apt-cache policy for
> example (this is just an idea... not sure if there's better options).

Really all you need is

if [ -n "$(apt-get indextargets 'Component: non-free' 'Origin: Debian')" ] &&
   [ -z "$(apt-get indextargets 'Component: non-free-firmware' 'Origin: Debian')" ]; then
   debconf prompt
fi

I mean you could filter on codenames too but meh.

(CC me if you want me to get a reply in my INBOX, I may not see it
otherwise, I'm not subscribed, just receiving via NNTP gateway :D)
ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en