Re: /boot partition too small

On Thu, 2022-10-06 at 11:48 +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my laptop runs with a default partition layout created by Debian
> Installer 4 years or so ago:
>
> Device           Start        End   Sectors   Size Type
> /dev/nvme0n1p1    2048    1050623   1048576   512M EFI System
> /dev/nvme0n1p2 1050624    1550335    499712   244M Linux filesystem
> /dev/nvme0n1p3 1550336 1000214527 998664192 476.2G Linux filesystem
>
> The boot partition is now big enough to contain 2 kernel version, too
> small to contain 3, and too small to purge one and install another
> (somehow a bit more space is needed during install than is used at the
> end)
[...]

That doesn't sound right to me.  But an upgrade (with same kernel ABI
version) *will* temporarily require space for both old and versions of
all files in the package.

The kernel team has had some discussion about changing linux-image
packages to not install vmlinuz directly in /boot:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2021/11/msg00091.html
https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2022/01/msg00236.html
https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2022/02/msg00000.html
https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2022/02/msg00010.html

This would potentially allow for smarter management of the available
space in /boot.

But I don't think there is any implementation available for this yet.

[...]
> # Temporary mitigations
>
> ## /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
>
>     # makes somewhat smaller initrd files and buys some time
>     COMPRESS=zstd
[...]

This is the default in bookworm.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If the facts do not conform to your theory, they must be disposed of.