Welcome to your new installation of Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Hi,

the last upload of src:systemd (251.5-1) enabled firstboot by default on
Debian. From debian/changelog:

  * Enable firstboot, disabled by default on Debian.
    Currently the first-boot conditions are not met by any Debian
    image (/etc/machine-id with content uninitialized, so we can
    just enable the build and ship it in the main package.
    This lets image builders (eg: cloud images) tinker with it.
    https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/machine-id.html#First%20Boot%20Semantics
    (Closes: #844528)

This breaks a number of setups like:

 - the sbuild autopkgtest
   https://salsa.debian.org/debian/sbuild/-/jobs/3353627/raw
 - the dropbear autopkgtest
   https://ci.debian.net/data/autopkgtest/unstable/amd64/d/dropbear/26716581/log.gz
 - autopkgtest-virt-qemu image builders
 - the MNT reform image builder
 - the mmdebstrap testsuite which builds a qemu system image for its
   local tests
 - the mmdebstrap jenkins job

The scripts I found that broke will fail because they will idle forever waiting
for user input with this message in the boot log:

    Welcome to your new installation of Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid
    Please configure your system!
    -- Press any key to proceed --

One possible workaround is to write out an empty /etc/machine-id.

As you can see from the package selection above, this is just the part of the
archive I'm interested in. I'm sharing this here so that others doing similar
things can get a heads-up hopefully before they sink hours into figuring out
why their qemu virtual machine suddenly stalls forever...

Thanks!

cheers, josch