Un-plug/re-plug second monitor messes up video config (regression)

Hello,

I have two monitors connected to my linux desktop.  One of them is sitting on
an HDMI switch as it is shared with a laptop.  For months, this worked just
fine: when I switched the monitor to the laptop, linux would notice that only
one monitor was connected and adjust; when I later switched the monitor back
to the linux machine, it would notice that there are two monitors and adjust
back to the original two-monitor configuration.

Recently -- since maybe 2-3 weeks ago (hard to pin down because I run "sid"
and update frequently) -- the switch from one to two monitors has stopped
working.  This forces me to open the KDE "System Settings" application and fix
the "Display Configuration".  The second monitor is detected OK, but the
"Enabled" checkbox remains off.  I need to click it back on.

The reason for this email rather than a bug report is that I don't know where
this functionality is located -- in the xorg server?  NVIDIA drivers?  KDE?
Something else??

Thanks!
-Steve