wxWidgets update & opencpn.

Dear list,

I'm maintaining the opencpn and libwxsvg packages. They both depend on wxWidgets which now is updated to version 3.2 in testing. Hence, I have two bugs [1], [2] requesting an update of my packages.

The core issue here is opencpn, wxsvg is a dependency. The problem with opencpn is that it has a plugin universe, and updating the current 5.6.2 version to wxWidgets 3.2 would break the plugin ABI.

The upstream plan to handle the ABI break is to do it when releasing next version 5.8.0 which is going into beta in November and will be released before Christmas. My thinking has been that if opencpn 5.8.0 is uploaded before Christmas the update process should be ok, since the wxWidgets 3.2 version will be uploaded before the freeze.

Opencpn (current master, upcoming 5.8.0) builds fine using wxWidgets 3.2.

However, I get nag messages that opencpn will be removed from testing at November 8 unless I update it to using 3.2. Obviously, this makes me nervous. Questions:

1) Is my overall plan ok?
2) If so, how handle the threat of being removed from testing?

Cheers!
--alec

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1019769
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1019765