Re: Please, minimize your build chroots

El 16/12/22 a las 4:39, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues escribió:
I think truly fixing this problem is a bit more tricky because most build tools
like the sbuild schroot backend require apt being installed in the chroot. As
of today, the sbuild schroot backend is unable to function with a chroot that
doesn't contain apt. I don't think it's conceptually possible to fix the
schroot backend to work with chroots without apt because schroot (for good
reason) doesn't give you root anywhere but inside the chroot.

You are right. My email should not be interpreted as "let's fix
this once and forever" but more than "let's see how much of this
we can fix easily, and how much of it would need more work".

In my experience, both "tzdata" and "mount" may be removed without trouble.

Then there is "e2fsprogs", which apt seems to treat as if it were
an essential package:

This sort-of breaks sbuild when using an ordinary chroot (not overlayfs),
because after building a package needing e2fsprogs, it may not be removed
and it's kept in the chroot.

I think apt authors did not think that apt is used by sbuild to
build packages. Here we would need some interface like SUDO_FORCE_REMOVE=yes,
or maybe just stop doing anything at all with the Important:yes flag.

Thanks.