Re: SONAME bumps (transitions) always via experimental

On 1/5/23 14:13, Simon McVittie wrote:
2. If there is already a version in experimental that is unsuitable for
    the next stable release, because there's only one experimental, in the
    rare case that upstream bumps the SONAME of the "old" branch, we can't
    do as asked. For example:

    - libfoo_1.0-1 (libfoo-1.so.0) is in testing/unstable
    - libfoo_2.0-1 (libfoo-2.so.0) is in experimental but not yet ready
    - maintainer wants to get libfoo 1.5 (libfoo-1.so.1) into testing/unstable

    This seems unlikely to happen often, because upstreams usually focus
    development of intrusive changes that can break ABI onto one branch at
    a time. Presumably if a maintainer finds that they need this, the ftp
    team would read a justification in debian/changelog and relax this rule?

    If bikesheds ever become available, then they would solve all instances
    of the "only one experimental" problem, including this one.

When I've needed experimental for an older version I filed an RM bugreport for the package in experimental. Being blocked by two ftp-master actions is not ideal, but it works.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1