Re: Linking coreutils against OpenSSL

Luca Boccassi <bluca@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, 9 Nov 2023 at 22:54, Benjamin Barenblat <bbaren@debian.org> wrote:

>> What would you think about having coreutils Depend on libssl3? This
>> would make the libssl3 package essential, which is potentially
>> undesirable, but it also has the potential for serious user time savings
>> (on recent Intel CPUs, OpenSSL’s SHA-256 is over five times faster than
>> coreutils’ internal implementation).
>
> This sounds great. systemd also uses OpenSSL for various things, so
> libssl3 is pretty much a given on any bootable installation anyway
> already.

I have no particular opinion on the proposal to make coreutils Depend
on libssl3; but there are plenty of bootable Debian systems without
systemd, so I'd like to gently push back on the idea that the only
bootable Debian systems are those using systemd as init.

Thanks,

Matthew
[commenting here, but I see at least one repetition of the claim in the
thread]
--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."