Re: Linking coreutils against OpenSSL

https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2021/06/msg00001.html is the start of a
thread about support for encryption in HW, which AFAIK uses the Crypto API.
That's available on a number of arm64 devices.

It may be useful to specify/detail a test so that people can (uniformly) test
the performance on their devices (on various architectures).
I did an OpenSSH/OpenSSL test, but I actually don't know if those were good
tests.

Still far from being an expert, but I was recently involved with testing a
Crypto implementation for rk3566 (based) devices and noticed the results were
rather mixed. It was much slower with 16 bytes, but significantly faster with
16384 bytes and the 'turnover' point was around 1024 bytes.
In the discussion that followed, the point was made that HW-based Crypto would
be much energy efficient and it would free up the CPU to do other things.
So that could also be a factor that could be considered.

Personally I don't have a problem with linking to OpenSSL, but I'm not a
subject matter expert.

HTH

PS: The 'argument' wrt a certain package of Priority: important (not
Essential) makes my blood boil, so this will likely be my only contribution to
this thread.