Re: New Essential package procps-base

On Tue, 14 Nov 2023 at 10:13, Helmut Grohne <helmut@subdivi.de> wrote:
> So in essence, you asked for changing the pidof implementation and
> Andreas and me try to turn this into a much bigger quest of making it
> non-essential. While these matters are related, they can be done
> independently in principle and if you do not want to take on the
> non-essential part, I fear I see little alternatives to that procps-base
> proposal.

Yeah, let's not make this task impossibly huge and lengthy, please.
Using the same implementation as every other distro has immediate
benefits for everybody, packagers and users. Rearranging the packaging
details and priorities and whatnot is pretty much an internal-only
detail - which doesn't mean it's not good or useful or worth doing,
just that I don't think it's worth blocking the first part for it, as
it can happen just as well later. The procps-base proposal looks good
to me.