Sunsetting Debtags

Hello,

about a year ago I announced the intention of letting go of Debtags[1].

No successor has happened to carry over maintenance since then, so it's
time to follow my own advice[2] and properly let go.

# What I tried, what worked, what didn't

Debtags has existed for almost 20 years, with the intention of providing
a categorization system for Debian packages, as a better way than
sections to explore Debian's vast and growing body of packages.

At the time I set off, studied some library science, found faceted
classification as a useful theoretical foundation, and together with
others slowly built a vocabulary of categories that are tailored to
Debian's specific structure.

I my past I used to try way too hard to be helpful, and ended up with an
excessively overdesigned system. In later years I grew up wiser and
worked to significantly simplify everything as much as I could (and I
could probably simplify it even more).

I implemented assisted ways of categorising packages, to lower the
barrier of entry for people trying to categorise packages.

I wrote guidelines to having a consistent tag vocabulary, and let any DD
commit to the vocabulary itself so that it can be community-maintained.

I created a way to anyone with a Salsa account to contribute to tagging
and be acknowledged for it on contributors.debian.org

I tried (and failed) to get an automatic route for categories to move
from debtags.debian.org to ftp.debian.org, so that I am not in the
critical path of people seeing their work appear in the Debian archive.

# What I would have tried next

I've been having a plan of mixing debian/control and debtags.debian.org
as authoritative sources.

The idea is that if a faced is used in debian/control, then
debian/control is authoritative for that facet.

The final list of tags in the Packages file will then be built by taking
all tags in debian/control, and adding all tags from debtags.debian.org
for all facets not listed in debian/control.

# Accept the grief and let go

I understand that the use case of exploring a distribution as a whole is
nowadays mostly a minority use case, and people mostly find packages by
searching the internet and then checking if what one found is packaged
in Debian.

As much as I would like to let go of Debtags in a way that it keeps
existing without my involvement and other DDs can step in to maintain
it, I cannot do it without significant involvement of other teams like
ftp-master that have more pressing priorities.

It's been a great ride, and I'm happy of what we all achieved. I think
this is one of those aspects where Debian has managed to produce
nontivial innovation. That innovation however over time hasn't gained
enough traction, and it's time to let go.

# What next

From now on, as I have free moments, this is what I plan to do:

1. upload the latest dataset from debtags.debian.org to Debian
2. take debtags.debian.org offline
3. orphan/remove the debtags package

Existing tags will remain in the ftp-master overrides file until
ftp-master will decide to remove them.

Since the Tag: header is currently optional in package data,
applications should continue working fine when the data will at some
point disappear.

I will make an effort to try to preserve sources and data for everything
somewhere purely for historical purposes.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2022/10/msg00248.html
[2] https://www.enricozini.org/blog/2023/debian/adulting/slides.pdf#page=18
[3] https://wiki.debian.org/Debtags

Thank you all for this fantastic ride!