Re: Limited security support for Go/Rust? Re ssh3

"IOhannes m zmölnig (Debian GNU|Linux)" <umlaeute@debian.org> writes:

> On 1/16/24 13:56, Jérémy Lal wrote:
>>>
>>> As Built-Using is for license compliance only, no?
>>>
>>> See
>>>
>>> https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#additional-source-packages-used-to-build-the-binary-built-using
>> Indeed, thanks for the link.
>>

> it seems that many people think that "Built-Using" can be used to
> express static linking (including yours truly, even though i *know*
> that it is meant for license compliance only).
>
> which makes me wonder: probably we should have an additional field
> that expresses such static linking (and therefore would trigger a
> rebuild when the dependency changes).
> or we could finally accept that many¹ people would just use
> "Built-Using" for this anyhow, and explicitly allow such use.

Would that be better or worse than making *.buildinfo files more
generally available and required?

Buildinfo files appears to have some traction already, and it seems like
they could help address the same problem.

Unfortunately *.buildinfo still seems hard to access reliably and their
integrity aren't protected by the archive-wide InRelease signature, if I
understand correctly.

/Simon