Re: X-Windows on PPC in Debian SID

Hi Colin,

On 1/21/24 3:22 PM, Stan Johnson wrote:

> I'll also try installing systemd first (and let sysvinit-core be
> uninstalled), then I'll run "apt-get dist-upgrade", then re-install
> sysvinit-core and see if that disables systemd and lets the X packages
> remain. I've noticed before that some packages claim to be dependent on
> systemd, but they'll continue to work if systemd is installed and then
> replaced by sysvinit-core. But if wdm really does require systemd now,
> that might explain this issue, with other X packages being dependent on
> either wdm or systemd. As I recall, wdm is the last X login manager that
> didn't require systemd (I think xdm and lightdm both require systemd, at
> least as compiled in Debian).

Please see attached (my comments are preceded by "***").

The bottom line is that there appears to be a dependency issue in Debian
SID at the moment that makes wdm (and other X-Windows packages such as
the Xorg server) dependent on systemd, even if systemd is already
installed, regardless of whether systemd is being used as the init (that
may not be quite correct, but it appears that way from the attached file).

Removing sysvinit-core manually (after the "apt-get upgrade" step)
results in systemd being used as the init. But even then, "apt-get
dist-upgrade" deletes the X-Windows packages.

For now, I'll restore my rootfs to just after my last "apt-get upgrade".

thanks

-Stan