Re: Proper handling of Lintian warnings due to other packages

Quoting G. Branden Robinson (2024-01-31 05:49:00)
> At 2024-01-30T19:55:07-0800, Loren M. Lang wrote:
> > While building a package preparing for a possible upload, I am getting
> > a large number of warnings from groff-message due to invalid fonts for
> > C and CB in the manpages that are generated from Markdown with pandoc.
> > From what I understand, this is a known issue with how pandoc
> > generates nroff man pages and more recent versions of groff have
> > started complaining about the issue. Here is an example warning I am
> > getting:
> >
> > groff-message troff:<standard input>:89: warning: cannot select font 'C'
> >
> > And it seems to match the issue documented here:
> >
> > https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/9020
>
> Yes.  I work on groff upstream (and at rare intervals make minor
> contributions to the Debian package), and you've accurately summarized
> the situation.
>
> > My question is how to handle this. Should I just ignore it for now and
> > upload anyways since it's only a warning or should I add an override
> > to suppress it as it doesn't seem to be causing any breaking issues at
> > the moment? Have other developers dealt with this warning before?
>
> Well, the version of pandoc that resolved the issue was 3.1.7, released
> in August 2023.[1]  But the version in Debian unstable is still 3.1.3,
> and the package is team-maintained.[2]

This particular bug is tracked in Debian as well:
https://bugs.debian.org/1053777

> Unless it's release-critical to have these Lintian warnings, I would
> disregard them in hope that the pandoc package in unstable will catch
> up at some point soon.

Unfortunately it is not likely that the package will be catch up soon,
because the Haskell team upgrade most Haskell libraries only as a whole.

That issue is not tracked in debbugs, because those vocal in the Haskell
team actively discourages the use of debbugs:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-haskell/2024/01/msg00012.html

 - Jonas

 * Sponsorship: https://ko-fi.com/drjones