Re: Transparency into private keys of Debian

Bill Allombert <ballombe@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 05, 2024 at 08:49:09AM +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> Bill Allombert <ballombe@debian.org> writes:

>> > Is not apt-key a protection ?
>>
>> No, the current implementation protects against missing and/or invalid
>> signatures.  Compare how in the WebPKI world some CA issued a valid
>> *.google.com certificate, and how that (and other incidents) lead to
>> setup of Certificate Transparency, which helps mitigate these issues.
>
> The difference is that with apt-key, the list of valid public keys is stored on
> the user system (in /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/), not a list of root certificates,
> and that the users are notified when the keys are updated, which is not the
> case with CA.  Nobody can generate a new signature that will be accepted by
> apt-key out of the box.

Right, there are differences, but I believe the underlying problem is
the same: if someone mis-use private keys I trust, or is able to forge
valid signatures somehow (e.g., crypto attack), apt-key wouldn't notice
but in the WebPKI world there are mechanisms to mitigate this via
Certificate Transparency.

It is a subjective choice to care about this attack scenario, and some
may regard it as out of scope, but others can believe it is in scope and
that improvements are warranted.

/Simon