Re: hardinfo rebooted as hardinfo2 - community edition - RELEASE 2.0.12

Hi Simon Quiqley, (CC: debian-devel)

I'm trying to figure out how to get the hardinfo2 - release 2.0.12 into debian repository.
hardinfo2 is a community fork of hardinfo and should continue as hardinfo package, currently maintained in debian by Simon Quiqley.

Salvo Tomaselli suggested to do ITP - And I would really love a common platform for developers and debian maintainers along with an easy to maintain package.

- But the pro's on "#debian-mentors on oftc" are so out of my league. - I am missing the overview - eg. how to test the debian build system with packages - do I need a salsa git? - Is this for project maintainers also?
I have made deb source package with the build-in CPack - it has a debian directory - see https://github.com/hardinfo2/hardinfo2/releases/tag/release-2.0.12 attachments.
All the binary packages for multiple architectures also work for all debian (7-13) - see https://hardinfo2.org/github/?latest_prerelease

But according to talk on oftc with sney, this might not be good enough for debian package building system. So I started doing something like in your salsa git.
https://salsa.debian.org/tsimonq2/hardinfo/-/tree/master/debian?ref_type=heads
Guess that I have to be a debian maintainer for doing the salsa git?! - Why does CPack not work with debian build system - could a small script fix it like:
https://github.com/hardinfo2/hardinfo2/blob/master/tools/create_debian_source.sh

I have no knowledge about debian distributions building - but if anyone from debian would help us - the hardinfo2 community project closes ALL BUGS in BTS for hardinfo!!
- Hoping that could make someone interesting in guiding/helping with debian repository update of hardinfo to hardinfo2 community edition for all tested versions (debian 7-13(sid)).

In advance thanx,

Here is the status of hardinfo debian bugs - All except 2 on wish list are to be closed - And there are a lot more fixes in hardinfo2 - release 2.0.12!:

#853749 [i|  |  ] [hardinfo] hardinfo gets segmentation fault -> FIXED ~7 crashes and alot more
#947159 [i|  |  ] [hardinfo] hardinfo segfaults when running benchmarks -> FIXED out of range crash
Outstanding bugs -- Normal bugs; Unclassified (7 bugs)
#523930 [n|  |  ] [hardinfo] [hardinfo] After some time it stops giving any kind of information -> FIXED OLD ERROR
#585685 [n|  |  ] [hardinfo] hardinfo: Sometimes hangs when using "Devices->Storage". Missed dependencies. -> FIXED udisks2
#638951 [n|  |  ] [hardinfo] hardinfo: does not show usb devices -> FIXED sysfs
#658985 [n|  |  ] [hardinfo] hardinfo: benchmark graphic bar lengths confusing and undocumented. -> FIXED
#721122 [n|  |  ] [hardinfo] hardinfo: unable to generate or/and save reports -> FIXED OLD ERROR
#967518 [n|  |♔] [src:hardinfo] hardinfo: depends on deprecated GTK 2 -> FIXED GTK3
#1014266 [n|  |  ] [src:hardinfo] hardinfo: Consider packaging new upstream snapshot? - FIXED when hardinfo2 released as hardinfo package.
Outstanding bugs -- Minor bugs; Unclassified (4 bugs)
#492989 [m|  |  ] [hardinfo] hardinfo: doesn't use gnome preferred browser -> FIXED xdg_open
#524844 [m|  |  ] [hardinfo] hardinfo: benchmark results unreadable -> FIXED GTK3
#572799 [m|  |  ] [hardinfo] hardinfo: dipslays SATA drives as SCSI -> FIXED sysfs
#886280 [m|  |  ] [hardinfo] hardinfo: Change icon in .desktop file -> FIXED .desktop file
Outstanding bugs -- Wishlist items; Patch Available (1 bug)
#1051775 [w|+|  ] [hardinfo] hardinfo: Please add support for hardinfo -> FIXED loongarch
Outstanding bugs -- Wishlist items; Unclassified (1 bug)
#486471 [w|  |  ] [hardinfo] [hardinfo] library for icons which are in hardinfo and tango? -> CLOSE WON'T FIX
Forwarded bugs -- Minor bugs (1 bug)
#483136 [m|  |↝] [hardinfo] [hardinfo] shows only one temperature-sensor -> FIXED
Forwarded bugs -- Wishlist items (6 bugs)
#446613 [w|  |↝] [hardinfo] gpu benchmark -> ON WISH LIST - LEAVE OPEN
#455568 [w|  |↝] [hardinfo] hardinfo: 'Storage>IDE Disks>CD-RW 52x24>Speeds' gives puzzling DVD speed. -> FIXED OLD ERROR
#455569 [w|  |↝] [hardinfo] hardinfo: Please add sorting to 'Computer>Kernel Modules', et al.
#458507 [w|  |↝] [hardinfo] improve benchmark-system -> FIXED new methods
#458838 [w|  |↝] [hardinfo] benchmarks: marking average -> FIXED on webpage - lot more to come.
#487835 [w|  |↝] [hardinfo] [hardinfo] phoronix & hardinfo? -> ON WISH LIST - LEAVE OPEN

above is from:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?dist=unstable;src="">

Best Regards

hardinfo2