Re: finally end single-person maintainership

On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 at 23:23, Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> wrote:

> On 17194 March 1977, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> >> Simple packages need someone who is responsible and responsive for
> >> them
> >> in the long run and know there history much more than needing
> >> sporadic
> >> contributions.
> > ...right up until the point where that "bus factor of 1" moves
> > on/changes priorities/changes job/etc and the package is abandoned.
> > Fortunately that never happens, though!
>
> And interestingly, this does NOT need required team maintainance. It
> does NOT need "package must be in git". It does NOT need "package must
> be on salsa".

True, they are not strictly needed - however, all of those things do
make everything orders of magnitude easier and more streamlined for
most contributors, especially new ones.

> It "only" needs good procedures in taking over maintainership of
> abandoned packages. And hey, for clearly abandoned packages, we have
> that, and it works.

And yet abandoned packages are still a thing, and there is still an
enormous amount of bureaucracy in the way.

> The problem is with people who are *not* clearly gone. Who are around
> and block changes to "my package, my way, i ignore all outside wishes".
> Or who are around and work against project wishes, in some way. And no
> amount of "force a team on everyone" and no amount of "you must use
> salsa" will solve this problem. While creating problems elsewhere.

I don't know, it seems counter-intuitive to me to suggest that "team
maintenance" and "my package, my way" are unrelated.