Re: finally end single-person maintainership

On April 9, 2024 6:37:23 PM UTC, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
>hi,
>
>just adding some random data points to this thread:
>
>- I love git.
>- I very much dislike git-buildpackage, too much magic. I try to avoid it
>  where I can.
>- I like salsa. (though I think for many new contributors this is rather
>  a barrier "why not use github" directly. Also salsa is Debian only,
>  which also is a barrier for some.)
>- I love autopkgtests.
>- I hardly every look at the autopkgs logs on salsaci, cause I find
>  them incomprehensible and the javascript "UX" makes me wanna chop wood.
>- I also think disallowing single-person maintainership would be very unwise,
>  though I agree team maintenance in general is probably better than
>  single-person maintainership. Still disallowing single-person maintainership
>  doesnt make a team and motivation lost is often motivation lost forever.

Specifically to your last point, absolutely.  Saying everyone must do a certain thing has an inverse that is we would rather you not contribute at all than do it without that thing.  I would rather we make that list as short as possible.

I have all my packages in git on salsa.  Mostly I find it not that helpful to me, but I know others value it, so I do it (and for the occasional benefits it provides me).  I think I would feel pretty strongly about not continuing to do so if someone told me I had to.

Scott K