Re: New supply-chain security tool: backseat-signed

On Thu, Apr 11, 2024 at 01:27:54PM -0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> At 2024-04-11T15:37:46+0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 11, 2024 at 10:26:55AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > > Or, because some upstream maintainers have learned through, long,
> > > bitter experience that newer versions of autoconf tools may result
> > > in the generated configure script to be busted (sometimmes subtly),
> > > and so distrust relying on blind autoreconf always working.
> >
> > When was the last time this actually happened to you?  I certainly
> > remember it being a problem in the early 2.5x days, but it's been well
> > over a decade since this actually bit me.
>
> A darkly amusing story of this frustration can be found under "Why
> patch?" at <https://invisible-island.net/autoconf/autoconf.html>.

I mean, sure - as I said, I recall there being problems in the early
2.5x days - but I will note that the newest release mentioned there was
over two decades ago.  I'm not really interested in relitigating things
from that long ago at this point.

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                              [cjwatson@debian.org]