Re: finally end single-person maintainership

Hi all, hi Holger,

On  Di 09 Apr 2024 18:37:23 UTC, Holger Levsen wrote:

hi,

just adding some random data points to this thread:

- I love git.
- I very much dislike git-buildpackage, too much magic. I try to avoid it
  where I can.
- I like salsa. (though I think for many new contributors this is rather
  a barrier "why not use github" directly. Also salsa is Debian only,
  which also is a barrier for some.)
- I love autopkgtests.
- I hardly every look at the autopkgs logs on salsaci, cause I find
  them incomprehensible and the javascript "UX" makes me wanna chop wood.
- I also think disallowing single-person maintainership would be very unwise,
  though I agree team maintenance in general is probably better than
single-person maintainership. Still disallowing single-person maintainership
  doesnt make a team and motivation lost is often motivation lost forever.

Very well summarized, fully agreeing with the above, esp. the part about single-person maintainership (let's simply keep it and, at the same time, encourage people to work in teams).

Also regarding gbp, my packaging workflow does not require it (debian/-folder-only in Git). Being enforced to use some other pkg'ing style would reduce my fun and end up with less productivity, I fear. The gbp workflow has its pros, but for me it is a too complex overhead without much gain to the end result (the uploaded package).

Debian is about freedom, so let's apply that to free choice of the tooling to be usable.

light+love,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31