Re: finally end single-person maintainership

On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 20:51:45 +0200, Gioele Barabucci <gioele@svario.it>
wrote:
>Asking maintainers "to use git" means: please push your changes, even
>those unreleased to a public git repository (salsa, github, codeberg,
>your own domain...), so other people can contribute 1) knowing that they
>are working against the same sources the maintainer has on their hard
>drive, and 2) using git-based workflows.

To have this actually work, I'd like to have published best-practice
things such like "branches with a 'wip-' prefix can have their history
rewritten any time" so that I can use git rebase --autosquash
--interactive to fix my commit errors even on branches that I have
already pushed without feeling bad for doing so.

>dgit is both a Web interface to browse git repositories as wells as a
>system to access the Debian archive as if it were a git repository, so
>you can "dgit push" a branch and have the resulting binary uploaded to
>the archive. (Yes, I'm simplifying here, but that's the gist.)

It is also not well documented for a beginner. I think that the dgit
docs are fine for someone who is already familiar with the tool and
has been using it for some time, but I have tried to read myself into
dgit multiple times and utterly failed with that.

>Salsa is a forge, i.e. a combination of a Web interface, a git server,
>and a set of integrated features. In comparison to dgit, salsa has, like
>most forges:
>
>* Merge requests: where people can suggest changes and discuss them with
>line-based comments (accessible via email, no need to use the Web interface)
>
>* Continuous integration pipelines: as soon as you push a commit,
>Salsa-CI will try to build a package, cross build it, test it against
>piuparts, lintian a bunch of other QA tools (kudos to the Salsa-CI
>developers).
>
>* Integrations with two dozen tools (irc, jenkins, mattermost, bugzilla,
>but funnily enough not BTS).
>
>* Project specific wikis, snippets, Docker images.
>
>* And with tag2upload salsa fulfills 50% of dgit functionality.

And, a web interface which make the learning curve a lot less steep.

Greetings
Marc
Rhein-Neckar, DE   |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |
Nordisch by Nature | Lt. Worf, TNG "Rightful Heir" | Fon: *49 6224 1600402