Re: Re: Make /tmp/ a tmpfs and cleanup /var/tmp/ on a timer by default [was: Re: systemd: tmpfiles.d not cleaning /var/tmp by default]

Quoting Luca Boccassi (2024-05-06 23:28:59)
> On Mon, 6 May 2024 at 22:27, Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 06 May 2024 at 22:08:56 +0200, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
> > > If [files can be deleted automatically while mmdebstrap is using them],
> > > how should applications guard against that from
> > > happening?
> >
> > As documented in tmpfiles.d(5), if mmdebstrap takes out an exclusive
> > flock(2) lock on its chroot's root directory, systemd-tmpfiles should
> > fail to take out its own lock on the directory during cleanup, and
> > respond to that by treating the directory as "in use" and skipping it.
>
> That also works, but only as long as mmdebootstrap is actually
> running, and as far as I understand it is not a long-running service,
> not sure if it works for this use case

I guess those users who want to place their chroots in /tmp would have to
disable the cleanup timer on their systems.

For the mmdebstrap user who just wants to create some tarballs, I think the
flock solution would be sufficient, thank you.

> More specific settings win, so your application can ship its own tmpfiles.d
> snippet that defines a longer (or infinite) cleanup time for directories
> under /tmp or /var/tmp.

How would that look like? Say, my application creates temporary directories
with the pattern /tmp/mmdebstrap.XXXXXXXX -- how would the recommended line
which disables cleanup in /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/mmdebstrap.conf look like?

And just to confirm (I read this elsewhere in this thread): if my /etc/fstab
has an entry for /tmp (with a tmpfs) does this automatically mean that no
cleanup will happen or do i still have to put something into /etc to disable
the periodic cleanup?

Thanks!

cheers, josch