Re: Re: Make /tmp/ a tmpfs and cleanup /var/tmp/ on a timer by default [was: Re: systemd: tmpfiles.d not cleaning /var/tmp by default]

> ...3) I would put a file in any auto-cleaned space named "1-AUTOCLEAN.txt" that contains some verbage explaining that things in this directory will be wiped based on rules set in (wherever).

You know, that's a pretty good idea!

Put a 00README-TMP.txt in /tmp/ and /var/tmp/ which briefly states the
default deletion policy, the policy in place if it's not the default,
and a pointer to info about altering it. "/tmp's contents are deleted
at boot while /var/tmp is preserved across rebooting." Maybe in
/var/tmp suggest /var/scratch/ or /var/cache/tmp or such as a place
sysadmins might want to set up for not-backed-up but not-auto-deleted
material.

If the contents aren't dynamic, maybe they could be links to files in
/usr/share/doc/systemd/.