Re: Tool to build Debian packages not requiring root in containers ?

Le Wed, May 08, 2024 at 08:02:41AM -0700, Otto Kekäläinen a écrit :

> I read the docs on how Singularity is able to pull Docker images of Debian
> Sid and build on top of them, and run and exec just like Docker/Podman.
> Unfortunately it has its own Containerfile format (
> https://docs.sylabs.io/guides/3.5/user-guide/quick_start.html#singularity-definition-files)
> and the commands have their own syntax. I guess Debcraft could be extended
> to support it, but that would require at least one Singularity user as
> frequent contributor to test and develop Singularity-compatibility.
>
> The entire code base is shell code. Perhaps you want to take a look if it
> looks hackable for you?

Hi Otto,

I looked at the code, and while it would be easy to replace the podman
commands to run containers, I wonder if there isn't a major roadblock:

The main use of Singularity containers is to provide static images for
software.  The default is that the image is read-only and has write
access to the host filesystems.  Thus, running apt upgrade in a
singularity container isn't something that is done usually.  It might
even be impossible, although I am not expert enough to make that
statement firmly.

Is there a chance debcraft can work from a static container provided by
the user?

I think that the key problem I have is that I want to use a build Debian
packages that need no root access and that do not need to install
dependencies that need root access, and I want to do that with user
privileges only.

Have a nice day,

Charles

--
Charles Plessy                         Nagahama, Yomitan, Okinawa, Japan
Debian Med packaging team         http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med