Re: Documentation co-ordinator

"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
>                             <DDP_ROOT>
>                  ---------------------------------
>                  |                               |
>             webpages                          manuals
>                 |                                |
>      __________________________    ___________________________________
>      |          |     |       |    |        |      |      |          |
>  index.html  [structure as now]    [directory for each manual]   general
>                                                  |                  |
>                             ___________________________         __________
>                             |           |    |    |   |         |   |    |
>                 manual_name.sgml    [chapter_name.sgml...]     [sundry items]

This looks good.  Try to keep it pretty flat, the structure that is.
Marcus has a pretty good Debian Docuemntation Heirarchy which you can
probably use if you like for organization (i.e., replacing the current
major categories in
http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-doc/manuals.html). Ask
me and I can shoot you a copy, but Marcus says it's not ready yet and
will be ready later this week or so.

> Generated web pages will not be checked in with CVS but will exist in
> a separate tree, with links to it from the CVS-managed pages. The managed
> pages will be copied or linked to the web server

This is very unclear to me.  I suspect you may be intending to use CVS
the wrong way.  Yes yes and yes! the web pages should be in cvs,
that's great.  But why the links?  I would just use 'cvs co' then 'cvs
update -d' nightly (i.e., from cron), and maybe hide the CVS subdirs
from Apache serving them up.

But are you intending to serve up the manuals from CVS?  Many manuals
are already in cvs elsewhere, and/or part of larger packages, such as
emacsen-common, doc-base, etc.  Can you have the directory for each
manual just be a checked out version of the manual from CVS if
possible?  Even this might be tricky because it might not be trivial
to check out only the manual and nothing else.

So please tell us more about the technical details of how you intend
to accomplish this.