StartedBusterUpgrade

Dear Release Notes,

I have started my upgrade to Buster, and I would like to ask your advice on the very large number of packages 'held-back'. This was reported by apt-get upgrade:
752 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 697 not upgraded.

I felt that this was a very large number and so aborted the upgrade. I have reported details in the Debian forum:

There have been a number of replies on this topic including:
 'carry-on' , 'apt-get dist upgrade', 'fresh-install'.

My system is backed up every night and I act on package update messages from apticron daily, so I was not expecting a huge number of held-back packages.

Is the number I report expected?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

--
Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582