Re: Skeleton maintainer scripts

Adam P. Harris:
>Charles, these scripts rock out.  They're a little wordy, you might
>strip down a little.  More comments below.  Email a new version to

Glad you like them...

> #! /bin/sh
>
> Why the space after the shbang?  I don't personally like that.

Just habit, I suppose.  The reason is that (as I understand it) there
are some ancient Unices which use "#! /" as the magic number to
identify scripts with, rather than the more usual "#!".  I got into the
habit of including the space, partly for that, and partly because, to
me, it looks nicer.  It's never caused any problems...

> # I've attempted to document all...
>
> Cut this para.

OK, but see later...

> # Some general points relevant to preinst scripts (gleaned from the
> # Debian policy manual version 2.4.0.0, and the packaging manual):
>
> Trim down to one line

Like this?
# Some general points relevant to preinst scripts:

> :
>
> Why these colons here against the left column?  The colons aren't
> needed here, and I don't like breaking the indent flow.

They -are- needed, at least with bash.  I had to put them in to get the
script to work.  Try removing them -- bash will complain loudly.  If
you really want, I'll indent the colons to match the rest of the text,
but there needs to be a command there, even if it's a no-op.

Arto Astala:
> I agree, even more since nobody reads it anyway, then you can replace
> the colons with comments like # your code here

I'd use
  : your code here
so that it'll still work even if you don't fill them all in.

> I would kepp this in entirety in one script and in others have oneliner
> that tells: for general points see scriptxx

Yes, I think you're right.

> Was your intention to use something that is guaranteed to bomb
> so the maintainer is forced to think at these points? I would
> (still) use comments like
>	  # your code here

No, my intention was to have something that -works-.  Believe me, if
there are no commands there, it'll -fail-.  (Under bash, at least, and
with a somewhat obscure error message.)

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>