packaging-manual package (was Re: Skeleton maintainer scripts (revised))

On 8 Apr 1998, Guy Maor wrote:

> apharris@burrito.onshore.com (Adam P. Harris) writes:
>
> > These are most excellent boilerplate maintainer scripts.  I think they
> > should be integrated into the packaging manual.  Juan, are you still
> > planning to do another unofficial upload of dpkg?  Should integrate
> > Charles' scripts into the packaging manual and provide diffs to you?
> > Maybe should I do a renegade upload of dpkg with the packaging manual
> > changes?  Thoughts from the dpkg group?
>
> Actually we wanted to split off the packaging manual from dpkg into a
> separate package.  Chris Schwarz was going to maintain it.

Several important changes have to be done to the packaging manual (e.g.,
the handling of shared libraries in postinst scripts--see policy weekly
posting released in the next days) and therefore, I'd like to release a
separate packaging-manual package in the next few days (upload for
"hamm").

If the dpkg maintainer's agree, could someone of them please upload a new
dpkg package which does not include the manual anymore? (Please email me
directly if you need to know which files I take over exactly.) Another
possibility would be that I do a NMU of dpkg for this. Is this preferred?

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian has a logo!    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Check out the logo     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
pages at  http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/